Thursday, February 10, 2011

tentative steps into the blogosphere . . .

For the past two years I’ve been the ‘Tupperware lady’ to my customers here in South West Saskatchewan. I made it to Star Director and had teammates across the country. But I travelled more then I wanted to and I was thinking it might be nice to have a ‘real job’ again rather than a 24/7 lifestyle that is a home based business once you get into the higher ranks.
Back in September my husband and I were on a road trip and he casually mentioned that the local bridal shop was up for sale. He caught my interest in a heartbeat.  You see I have a secret. I LOVE fancy dresses. The kind you pay too much for, wear once and gaze lovingly upon as they take up space in your closet. He told me later he had thought and prayed on this for two weeks before telling me, because he knew I’d be jumping in with both feet.

Much worrying, planning and praying later, I took possession of the bridal shop October 18, 2010. Those weeks in between were exhausting.  We had decided to move the store out of the mall space it currently occupied and head downtown. I wanted a welcoming atmosphere with a layout that makes you feel like you’ve walked into a wealthy woman’s closet with her permission to explore.  I expanded the clothing lines to include not only bridal and grad gowns but also more party dresses and dressier business wear. Phone calls, e-mails, late night web browsing to find suppliers and pricing. Researching mark up standards and basically trying to figure out exactly how a person runs a retail store. At the same time, hours were spent painting the new location and working with the contractor to make my fantasy closet a reality.

November 9, 2010 I opened the doors to Unforgettable – Bridal, Business, Party and Prom. Our new downtown store has shoes, jewellery, belts, watches, women’s suits, slacks, blouses, dressy sweaters, party dresses, formal gowns, Mother of the Bride gowns, Grad Gowns, Bridesmaid dresses, flower girl dresses and of course, Wedding gowns.  And every day is an adventure.

In this blog I will be sharing my stories, the bride’s stories, the fun adventures in shopping, fashion shows, and the occasional rant. I will let you in on the behind the scenes stuff that happens. What’s up and coming, cool new discoveries in designers and product and the ‘this is the dress” moments I get to be a part of.

I hope you’ll join me in this adventure as I navigate my way though the sometimes turbulent waters of retail. I know I am having a total blast here at Unforgettable, and I hope you’ll enjoy the ride with me.

No comments: