Now, that I have given the bridesmaid the rules, there are some things that can be done to make being a bridesmaid a little less painful. Brides, are you listening??? This part is for you.
1. No one loves a bride-zilla. Abusing your power will not make you any friends. Try to control the ‘I want’ and be open to suggestions.
2. Do not pick women you know are at war and cannot be in the same room to be fellow bridesmaids. If you MUST have these people involved perhaps you can ask them to give a toast, help you with favours, be in charge of making sure decorating details are correct. There are a million other jobs in a wedding besides being a bridesmaid. If you are worried they will be insulted if you don’t ask them, then it’s time to work on your spin. Do not say “I know you hate Sue, so I thought instead of being a bridesmaid you could do decorations.” Your friend could easily take that to mean Sue is more important to you since SHE gets to be the bridesmaid. Instead ask her to do something that is in line with her interests and talents. “You are so amazingly artistic. I am really hoping that you would be willing to be in charge of helping me figure out decorations and favours.” Who could say no to that?
3. Do not expect your bridesmaids to shell out thousands of dollars for the privilege of being at your beck and call on this special day. Yes, there are $800 bridesmaid gowns out there and a girl’s weekend in Vegas for your stagette would be cool. But unless you are paying for them, do not set your heart on these for your wedding.
4. Do not choose a bridesmaid gown that is going to make your girls look ridiculous. Remember the movie “27 Dresses”? It will come back to haunt you later. Even if it’s just when you look at your wedding photos 10 years from now. No one will outshine you, you are the bride.
5. Do not cater to a Maid-zilla. That chick who said that if she didn’t like the gown she would refuse to be in the wedding? Sucks to be her. That is NOT the sort of human you need helping you in this stressful time. Surround yourself with helpful, upbeat, cooperative humans and your wedding planning and wedding will go MUCH easier.
The episode I caught of TLC’s ‘Say Yes to the Dress – Bridesmaids’ did a great job of highlighting how one bridesmaid can derail the entire bridesmaid dress buying process. And I expect it will be a popular series for exactly the reason I won’t ever watch it again.
It has nothing to do with the dresses.
It doesn’t tell you how to fit different body types in your bridal party. Or offer tips on how to choose the right dress for your theme and budget.
This show is all about the drama. So for all you bridal drama lovers out there, enjoy!